The University of Texas at Austin carpool program strongly supports efforts to reduce traffic congestion and curb vehicle pollution in the Austin area. Carpool members are provided numerous incentives to share the commute with a fellow co-worker or student.
- Reserved Carpool Spaces — Reserved carpool parking spaces are available throughout the campus. These reserved spaces are open to all carpoolers pertaining to your permit on a first-come first served basis, on weekdays until 10:00 a.m. Please view the campus parking map for reserved carpool space locations.
Reduced Permit Fees — The permit cost is reduced by $50 for each registered UT Austin employee and student carpool rider (excluding the driver) up to the pro-rated cost of the permit at the time of carpool registration. You share any remaining permit cost with your carpool members.
- Permits paid in full receive a rebate in the form of a check or direct deposit.
- Permits paid with PRD, cash or WIO Refund will be processed after six (6) consecutive months of being in the carpool on a post-tax basis only. PRD monthly deductions are no longer an option.
- Semester Permits (Garage Permits for students) Refund will be processed after the permit has expired. The carpool must be active during the entire semester in order to receive the refund
Green on the Go Pass — In the event you need to drive your own vehicle to work instead of riding with your registered carpool, a parking space may be provided in one of the university parking garages. Each carpool member receives Green On the Go pass. The Green on the Go pass issued to each carpool member will have a balance adjusted to the term of the permit. Passes issued to carpoolers will be prorated based on the month of application approval. To receive a pass you must list your own alternate vehicle. If an alternate vehicle is not listed, you opt out of receiving a pass as one of your benefits. Pass usage will be monitored. If you deplete your credits and unenroll from your current carpool within six months of your initial carpool approval, you will be responsible for the repayment of any used carpool credits. For a breakdown of Green On the Go pass credits please see the following table:
Carpool Green On the Go Credit
The number values listed in the chart are the maximum number of swipes allotted per Green On the Go Benefit.
|A, AN, C, C+, F, S (annual)||16||14||12||10||10||10||10||8||6||4||2||2|
- Guaranteed Ride Home (GRH) — All carpoolers are automatically enrolled in the GRH program, providing a safety net for emergency situations. If you need to leave the University before the carpool is ready because of an emergency a ride can be provided by mass transit or taxi. If you live outside the Capital Metro service area, a ride by taxi will be arranged. Under this program each carpool member will be eligible for up to two cab rides home per semester (or six times per academic year). PTS will pay for up to $49.50 per cab ride, and the rider is responsible for any additional charge and driver gratuity. To arrange a ride, please contact our office at 512-471-7275 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. For other times, please contact the Conference Center Garage at 512-232-8314.
Guidelines & Eligibility
- All members of the carpool must be employed or registered at The University of Texas at Austin. One of the participants must be a University of Texas at Austin employee or student who has a current and valid UT parking permit. All carpool members must reside in the same commute area.
- The permit issued to the carpool will be the Class of Permit that the holder is currently eligible to purchase. ("A", "C", "F", "S"). Class "O" Permit holders may receive all benefits except the reduction in the parking costs. On campus residents and "R" permit holders are not eligible carpool members. Carpools must park in the lot that they are assigned or eligible. N and N+ permits are not eligible for the carpool program.
- Green on the Go passes are valid in all university garages except the Conference Center Garage (CCG) and Rowling Hall Garage (RHG). Access may be restricted during special events.
- Membership in Class "F" Permit carpools is restricted to faculty or staff members only. Class "F" Permit carpools will be assigned to a specific "F" lot; however, no specific spaces will be set aside for Class "F" Permit carpools.
- Only one University parking permit is issued per carpool, and only one of the registered vehicles may be parked in the designated lot at any time.
- The permit holder and all riders will be connected to the carpool permit and thus not eligible for another permit. Carpool members are ineligible to obtain additional permits of any type (including Class "M" Permits).
- Motorcycles, motor scooters, and mopeds are excluded from the carpool program.
- Individuals are only eligible to receive benefits once per academic year.
- If the permit is returned for a refund, the $50 per member permit discount benefit will be prorated and will be adjusted with the refund based on the usage of the permit.
- All refunds are processed on a post-tax basis in order to facilitate the refund process. Federal Regulations guidelines prevent the university from issuing refunds for permits purchased on pre-tax payroll deductions. To prevent the necessity of a refund, all returned permits must be turned into PTS no later than the 15th of the month prior to departure.
- A max of four (4) members (including the permit holder) is allowed per group.