The Orange Bike Project bicycle shop is located in the 27th Street Parking Garage (TSG) at the corner of University Avenue & 27th Street. Orange Bike Project is inside the garage on the ground floor near the elevators.
Orange Bike Projec is UT’s community bike shop where students can volunteer, learn, and work on their own bikes. The shop volunteers are always willing to answer questions or wield tools to get bikes up and ready to go. It is also the location for pick up and drop off for any rented bikes. Orange Bike Projec runs a semester long bike rental and a daily bike rental program.
Semester Rental Program
Coordinators are continuously fixing up bikes and adding them to the fleet to make available for rental. The bikes are currently being rented out at a rate of $50 per semester and each rental comes with a u-lock, however, only one bike can be rented out per UT EID. To rent one of these bikes there are a few steps:
- Visit the Orange Bike Projec shop in 27th Street Parking Garage during one of the shop hours and choose a bike from the available rental fleet. Make sure you bring $50 in CASH OR CHECK with you as Orange Bike Project does not accept cards.
- Alternatively, if there are no bikes available at the time of your visit, add your name to this waitlist and we will contact you as soon as a bike becomes available.
- In addition to putting your name on the waitlist, you can rent a daily bike on a weekly basis ($15 per week) until we have a semester bike ready for you if you really need a bike to get around. However, if the waitlist is quite long, Orange Bike Projec cannot guarantee that you will receive a bike before the end of the semester.
- If you do not want to wait for a bike, you can volunteer 6 hours at Orange Bike Projec and get bumped up to the top of the waitlist. This is the fastest option in the case of a long waitlist.
Daily Rental Program
We have commuter style bikes that can be rented on a short-term basis. If you would like to reserve a bike send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes your name, UT EID, date/time of rental, and date/time of return. You can also come by the Cage during shop hours to rent or get more information. All bikes come with u-locks and helmets.
Students who wish to use the bikes for academic purposes (e.g. going to lab or class related trips) are given priority over leisure usage. To accommodate this, students will be able to make reservations during the first three weeks of class. Once all reservations have been made, all future rentals will take these dates into consideration.
|Week (7 days)||$15|
How do I donate?
You can drop-off any bike or shop-related donations at the cage during normal hours above.
What are you looking for in a donation?
The library is for the college community so a large range of sizes and types of bikes is great, but kid bikes need not apply. We take bikes in any condition, but a bike that will need a complete build up is very time consuming and will most likely not get worked on for some time.
Bikes that can't be fixed to become rideable will be striped for components, which are very useful in fixing other bikes and maintaining an operational fleet. We are working to partner with the CEC Recycling committee to recycle and dispose of all of our waste sustainably.
Landmarks Docent-Led Bike Tour
This year Orange Bike Project is partnering with Landmarks to provide docent-led bike tours of the collection.
The hour and a half, two-mile adventure will begin at Orange Bike Project's headquarters on the ground floor of the 27th Street Garage. The group will bike through campus with a guide and a Landmarks Docent and explore public art at The University of Texas at Austin. This tour is a fun way to see campus, talk about art and enjoy the weather. The ride will be at a leisurely pace!
Need a bike? Rent one with Orange Bike Project for $15; student rentals are only $5. Rental includes a helmet and bike lock and is good for 24 hours so you can explore even more of UT or central Austin on your own.
Have your own bike? Meet the group at Orange Bike Project and join the tour for free!
Ample parking is available on the street or in the 27th Street Garage.
What to bring:
- Bike or secure a rental with OBP
- Helmet and lock (included in rental)
Space is limited! Reserve your spot by Friday, 6 April at email@example.com.
More info here