2022-23 R Permit Timeline
|Summer R Open Sales||April 28||ongoing|
2023-24 R Permit Timeline
|Fall R Permit Waitlist Entries||July 13*||July 24|
|Fall R Permit Waitlist Offers||July 28||August 4|
|Fall R Permit Open Sales||August 8||ongoing|
Do I qualify for an R permit?
If you are a UT Austin student living on campus in a dorm or residence (i.e., with a University Housing and Dining (UHD) contract), you qualify for an R permit. If you are a future dorm resident, you qualify for a future R permit once room assignments are made by UHD. Fall semester room assignments are typically made some time in mid-July.
Ok, I qualify. Now how do I apply for an R permit?
You can get an R permit for the 2023-24 academic year through either the Waitlist Selection or Open Sales.
The Waitlist Selection process is best if you want to get a permit for a garage that will be unavailable during Open Sales. The following garages are typically unavailable during Open Sales:
- Brazos Garage (BRG)
- 27th Street Garage (TSG)
- Speedway Garage (SWG)
- San Antonio Garage (SAG)
- San Jacinto Garage (SJG)
For a chance to get into the above garages, follow these steps:
- After you get your room assignment from University Housing and Dining (anticipated for July 13 for the fall semester), you will automatically get an email with instructions on how to enter the R Permit Waitlist. Make sure to follow the instructions and enter the waitlist before the July 24 deadline.
- Click the link in the R Permit Waitlist email you received and log on with your EID (university electronic identification issued during orientation) and password.
- Enter up to three choices for garages where you want to park (check out recommendations for garages closest to your dorm). You should also enter your vehicle information including license plate, make, model, and color for any vehicles you may be driving.
- Another email will be sent with R permit offers to those picked from the waitlist.
- Make sure to follow the payment instructions and deadline posted in the R Permit Offer email. To secure your space, payment must be received to PTS prior to the deadline stated in your email. Payment may be mailed or paid by credit card online.
The following garages have historically been available during Open Sales:
To purchase a permit for an available garage during Open Sales, log into My Parking Profile with your UT EID and password beginning August 8. Follow the steps in the Student Permit Renewal & Purchase Instructions to purchase the permit of your choice.
What if I didn't get the email to enter the R Permit Waitlist?
You will not get the email until after room assignments are made. If you have received your room assignment and still did not receive an email on entering the R Permit Waitlist, enter the waitlist online through My Parking Profile.
What if I entered the waitlist and didn't get an R permit offer?
While we can't make guarantees, over the past several years, we have been able to make some type of garage permit offer to everyone who enters the waitlist. You may not get your first choice but we typically make offers in the general area of your housing.
What are my chances of getting into the garage I want?
Returning students have priority over incoming students in the selection process but the selection within the returning or incoming student groups is entirely random. While this waitlist is weighted toward returning students, there should be spaces rewarded to incoming students as well. We highly recommend that you make multiple choices during the waitlist entry period to increase the chance of getting a parking assignment in the area close to your dorm.
- Highest Demand Garages / Least Likely to Get - Brazos Garage (BRG) and 27th Street Garage (TSG)
- High Demand Garages / More Likely to Get - Speedway Garage (SWG), San Antonio Garage (SAG), and San Jacinto Garage (SJG)
- Historically Available Garages / Most Likely to Get - Guadalupe Garage (GUG). Trinity Garage (TRG), Health Center Garage (HCG), and East Campus Garage (ECG)
Each year, we offer approximately 425 spaces in BRG, 50 in GUG, 75 in SAG, 55 in SJG, 150 in SWG, 400 in TRG, and 200 in TSG.
What if I missed the waitlist entry period?
You can still get an R permit if you missed the initial waitlist selection. During open sales, remaining R permits are on sale through My Parking Profile. We typically have remaining space in Guadalupe Garage (GUG). Trinity Garage (TRG), Health Center Garage (HCG), and East Campus Garage (ECG). Sales for these garages are ongoing throughout the year.